Scrambles in the Lake District: Northern Lakes [ISBN 1 85284 463 9]
- 6733474824383Regular price £10.00
The second of a two-volume set of guides to scrambles in the Lake District. The guide covers Wasdale, Ennerdale and Buttermere, Borrowdale, Thirlmere, Patterdale, Mardale and Swindale in 110 scramble routes graded 1 to 4. The Lake District's rich mix of rocks, gills and crags offers the scrambler a complex variety of routes, often well removed from the beaten track. Scrambling - ascending rock that is not usually difficult or steep enough to warrant the term 'rock climbing' - means you often hardly touch a path and rarely see other people at close quarters. This is a way of getting back to a wilder Lakeland and enjoying the freedom of rough mountain country.
Also included is advice on how to approach scrambling safely and with confidence, overview maps as well as sketch diagrams of the crags and routes, introductions to each area mentioned, indicating the type of rock and any recommendations; and information on the approach, character, grade and route of each scramble.
- Route notes for 110 graded scrambles.
- Interaction to each area, indicating rock type and recommendations.
- Information on approach, character, grade and route of each scramble.
- Area maps and sketch diagrams of the crags and routes.
- Advice on how to approach scrambling safely and with confidence.